Sunday, December 7, 2008

Mortal Kombat in the Park with George

The biggest challenge since ending boot camp is staying with some sort of fitness routine. As hard as it was to get up at 4 a.m. each morning, that seems like cake compared to inspiring myself to get up. My friennds and hubby have been super supportive, so I really want to work at it, for them and for me.

I've found a class that I totatlly love at my gym. I'm guessing it is because of the instructor. You may have heard me mention her before in my spinning and group power class. She is punchy and fun with a great sense of humor. She teaches a body sculpting class on Wednesdays and I have convinced myself that it will be a weekly ritual. We'll see how that goes. Afterwards, some people were coming in for the next class which I found out was Zumba. Eh, what the hell, I needed some cardio.

This will be the second time I have regretted staying for the cardio class following. The instructor seemed like she would have been just as happy if we were all just sitting and watching her dance. The steps were not overly complicated, but it was like trying to follow a dance routine without being told what was coming next. It was like the first three times you tried to learn the Oops I did it again dance without being able to pause Britney. Um, not that I've ever done that.

Thursday I did a little action on the resistance band but just enough to get a little tightness. It wasn't really a workout, but at least I didn't just sit on the couch and gorge myself. Well, I mean I didn't do that until AFTER I played with my resistance band.

Saturday the girls wanted to walk at Cherokee Park where boot camp was held. A few are runners, I am not. Again, Halladay Celebration to the rescue. She kept a walker's pace with me. It was snowing at about 26 degrees. I saw a dude wearing a mask that made him look like a character in Mortal Kombat.

My mind drifted to hand to hand combat on the bridge where I defeat the Evil Park Ninja, let's call him George. I fly to the sky and cut him down with my combo death chop. I earn a MK fatality where I rip off his head exposing his spinal cord and then steal the keys to his BMW SUV, cuz let's face it, if you own one, you have that coming to you. Alas, I did none of the above. Instead, I continued to pant and whine about my shoe inserts giving me shin splints.

Next time Evil Park Ninja, next time.

1 comment:

Laci said...

I tried to take a Zumba class at the Y and I didn't really like it. You're totally right about the whole no instruction thing -- I mean isn't that why they have instructors? I felt like I was just running around on the floor looking spastic.