Monday, December 8, 2008

Talk Soup

Growing up in Arizona, I didn't experiece a lot of cold weather. We had basically two seasons. You could tell if it was winter, because more guys wore shirts.

Moving to Kentucky, I must admit I was thrilled to see rain and snow. One of the main reasons is because they are true signs of soup season! I'm a sucker for good soup. Recently, my friend Kerri taught me how to make a crock pot of comfort soup.

I've named it Gallagirl Rocks Soup. I took the name from a tale I loved about making Stone soup. If you don't know the story, a man tricks a village into feeding him by saying he can make soup out of a stone. He puts the stone in a pot of water and keeps saying things like "oh this needs carrots" or "if we only had a little beef, this would be perfect." By the end, the villagers have all contributed to make this heavenly concoction and they all happily dine on said soup.

The reason I'm relating this story to my soup is simply the method in which it is made. I started with meat and tomato sauce. Throughout the week, I eat a bowl and then add another ingredient of left overs to fill up the crock pot, like rice or potatoes or diced tomatoes. It seems to make a different soup each day and each day it becomes more wonderful.

I'm really jonesing to make a batch of corned beef and cabbage. It reminds me of my college roommate Cari. Not because she like it, but because she hated the smell with such passion. My husband says I can only make it when he is not in town. I apparently married the only Irish man on the planet who hates corned beef and cabbage. I must be cursed. Sigh.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jeremy is basically the smartest man alive to assert that restriction! I am right there with him. The smell of corned beef and cabbage is enough to wipe out a village, much less bring one together. With that said...love ya Kitty Kat.