Thursday, December 25, 2008

Feeling Kinda Heavy

It is Christmas Day and it is the first day in three that I haven't started the day with a fit of tears. You see, I had been looking forward to seeing my family in Michigan for about two months. Apparently Mother Nature had different plans.

On Monday night I had already packed for the week. I had made a special trip to Sephora to get supplies for the trip, you know, in case of emergency. We went to the husband's family's house to celebrate an early Christmas as we were going to be in Michigan for the actual day. On the way home from Lexington, I begin to get a slew of calls from relatives in Grand Rapids saying we should probably sit this one out. These are people who think ice skating in SUV's should be an Olympic sport. Seriously, people from Michigan are crazy, but even they said it was too dangerous.

My husband knew how much I had been looking forward to seeing everyone. He had listened to me talk about this being the first Christmas I would spend with my brother in more than eight years. He knew of my plans to build a snowman and drink hot chocolate while drawing eyeliner mustaches on whoever was stupid enough to nap on the couch. He whispered calmly, "If you want to do it, we'll go. We'll make this work." I made a stong and useless attempt to fight back tears as I said "I have to be a grown up. It is too dangerous."

When I got home, I looked up the local weather reports in Michigan. They had closed freeways. Some poor holiday travelers who were on a train took 15 hours to get from Chicago to Grand Rapids. I knew it was right not to go, but my heart is still breaking like I'm a little girl.

My husband is doing his best to keep my spirits up. He surprised me with a diamond and emerald necklace. I'm making him pork tenderloin and mashed potatoes. Most would say this is not a fair trade, but in my defense, he really loves mashed potatoes.

I plan on snuggling with the husband trying to forget that I should be breaking the ornaments on my mom's tree, stealing my brother's Christmas cookies, foot fighting with my aunt for the best seat on the couch and eating pierogi while having a Merry Christmas. Sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you didn't get to see your Michigan peeps. I'm glad you had the sense not to try and plow through. I like my kitties safe. :-(