Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Moment of Truth

Tomorrow is graduation day for boot camp. I can't believe it has been a month. I had my body assessment last night. It was a little disappointing but the main thing is that I feel better and I'm making steps to be healthier.

I didn't lose any weight. I'm sure my diet had something to do with that. I did however lose an inch off my waist and my hips. My arms went down a little as did my thighs. My calves actually got bigger, but they said that is to expected as the muscle grows. Looking in the mirror, I can see differences. I talked with my husband(nutrition and fitness dude) about my disappointment and he encouraged me to stay on this path and eventually I will see the results I'm looking for. For now, I knew I needed to stay focused on the two days left of boot camp.
cat
more animals

Today was cardio day, so if there was a day to be focused, this was it. It seemed like my heart never got a chance to rest today. We started with fast feet intervals and then moved right into the real work out. It was side shuffle this way, grapevine that way, high knee skip this way. Oh you want more? Jog here, sprint there. I'd like to take this special moment to thank my ruthless friends who told the coach to challenge me to a race on the sprint course. You know who you are, and I know where you live. I gave it my all and won, but let's face it, Mr. Six Foot Three athletic guy let me win. I have no illusions about that. When I heard a whistle, I thought I was saved. Nope. Time for shuttle races.

We lined up in teams and started a relay of sorts. In between we were told to do jumping jacks. Each time I was up, I gave it my all. I tried to recall the words of my runner friends about posture and stride. By the fourth set, all I could think was "don't throw up, don't throw up."

Now to the mats for a cool down. Wrong again. Back to fast feet with burpie/push ups each time the whistle blew. It seemed like these went on forever. Then we moved on to this weird lifting crunch overhead thing. No clue, but it FINALLY ended this workout.

My shins feel like they are bleeding and the bottom of my feet keep cramping up. I know, boo hoo. I need to get my head together. Tomorrow is graduation day and the the mile and push up test. I'm gonna get a good night's rest and kick butt.

3 comments:

Laci said...

I'm proud of you!! I never would be able to make it through boot camp -- at least not right now.

The scale may not show it, but I could definitely see a difference.

Keep at it! :)

Jessie said...

Kat,
YOu've been rockin' it. Sometimes the scale doesn't reflect the reality of what's going on with us. You look great. You feel better (most of the time) and you're doing something that's a real accomplishment.
We're going to rock that mile tomorrow. I'm determined to get to a 10 minute mile. I'm totally worried about it but feeling like it is possible. Hell, I've been through a lot this last couple weeks and I'm just proving to myself that I can be stronger. you've really helped with that.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! You're doing great! I'm so proud of you!!