Sunday, November 23, 2008

Go Kat, it's your birthday

Literally. It is my birthday. The big 31.

The first thing I want to do is give a huge congrats to all my fellow boot campers. Especially my good friend Jessie who shattered her goal of running the mile in 10 minutes. I was so very proud of her. I shaved about 25 seconds off my mile. Not huge, but an accomplishment nonetheless. I added about 12 push ups to my minute, so all in all, not bad. After graduation day, the coaches gave us parting gifts like a set of dog tags and a winter hat then took us all out for some coffee. It was nice to see everyone, you know, not sweating and grunting.

I climbed in my car after coffee and I realized it was over. I can't really say if it was pride or sadness or a combination of both, but I began weeping like a child. I laid my face up against my frosty steering wheel and gave it a good hug while letting out the "nobody's looking ugly cry." It was a nice time to look back at the last year and see all of the wonderful things that have happened. I list boot camp right in there with the rest.

I wanted to keep the momentum going after some really encouraging words from friends, especially the comments on the "Moment of Truth" post and a lovely email from my favorite Jersey Girl, the brand new Mrs. Laughman. I headed to the gym on Saturday for a group weight lifting class. I packed my new confidence and upgraded my weights when I got there. It was really, really tough, but I knew that I could do it. The burning and weak feeling in my arms and legs gave me a high I hadn't had in a while. I wanted to keep it going. I thought it was time to get some cardio in.

I stayed for the step class. Big mistake. The first half hour wasn't bad, but I got lost with all the moves and transitions. I spent the last half hour severely frustrated and walking around in a circle. I couldn't understand and I couldn't follow. I left 10 minutes early. I was amazed that after two hours at the gym, I was feeling deflated and sad. Lesson learned. Step is not for me.

I got home a little embarrassed that one class could bum me out so much. I went home to tell my husband all about it and this is what I found.
Photobucket
He made me a chocolate pudding bundt cake. He says he wanted it to say "boot camp ninja" (the girls called me "Ninja Kat" when I pulled my headband over my mouth and nose to keep from freezing) but the candy letter packet only had one n. Foiled! He would have gotten away with if not for those meddling kids and their stupid dog.

Today, I'm not afraid of 31. I have friends and family who love me and support me. I have a cat who can sleep in the same position for nine hours straight.
Photobucket
What more could one person ask for?

3 comments:

Laci said...

Happy birthday Kitty Kat!! :)

Jessie said...

Happy Birthday -- a day late I know but I did think about you yesterday if that counts. You did awesome in bootcamp and I'm so psyched you went on Sat. too. Sometimes we get momentarily deflated at the gym ... but we bounce back. I got up early this morning (not bootcamp early just 6 a.m.) and headed for the gym myself. I'm going to make this goal of working out at least five times a week. I can do it. I'm not letting this end. And I think that the breakup has pushed me even harder because I am smokin' hot now and I don't want to lose that. Love ya, can't wait until Wed.

DPA said...

I'm fairly certain you got my voicemail...then just didn't call me back...cuz that's what ninjas do. But just in case...HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You barely look old enough to drink, which is probably what you want to do after step class. But I'm proud of you! You've come a long way in a short time and I hope you continue the hard work...you're totally worth it.