Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Where the hell are we going?

Have you ever noticed that spin teachers talk about climbing hills and "digging in" to pass the guy in front of you? I want to throw my hands up and scream "WE ARE ON STATIONARY BIKES! I'M NOT GONNA CATCH HIM!" I might have, but I was panting too hard to speak, let alone scream.

What is with all the talk about cross winds and tail winds? I understand they are trying to paint a picture of pretending to bike outdoors, but frankly if I wanted to bike outdoors, I would, well, bike outdoors. As you can tell, last night's spinning class was a tough one for me. My legs strained to keep even the tiniest bit of resistance on the bike. I couldn't muster the will or strength to really give it my all. I could feel the half-pound pulled pork sandwich I ate for lunch punishing me as I pushed through imaginary hills and that finish line I would never reach.

As I walked out the instructor thanked me for coming with a warm and friendly smile. I felt an overwhelming sense of guilt and wanted to throw myself at his feet and confess that the last 20 minutes of class, I coasted. He probably would have told me the same thing I already knew. I didn't cheat him. I cheated me. I still left covered in sweat and with the same basic desire to crawl into a corner and cry, so I was assured that my class was not completely wasted but dammit, I need to get on my game.

No comments: