Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Man Who Understands

Today is a rough day. Writer's block coupled with some severe cravings. When I get writer's block, I step away from the project and do a little light reading. My friend sent me an article on run/walking. It talked about the recovery needed while doing long distances. It says you need to give your body breaks so you don't hurt yourself. So if you happen to be in my neighborhood and you see me holding on to tree, panting and crying, just know I'm taking a little break. It's science. Don't mess with science.

The article also linked to a health blog. You can check it out here.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/

Check out the entry "My brief life as a woman." It is about a man who is going through hormone treatments during his recovery from prostate cancer. He talks about the hot flashes, the crying and of course, weight gain and cravings.

My first instinct was to seek out this man and hug him. We could cry together and then hit the cupcake shoppe. Which by the way, if you haven't been http://www.louisvillecupcakes.com . You can thank me later.

I think sometimes men believe we are crazy and then just BLAME hormones with no real backing. They will watch us eat two burgers, a hot dog, potato salad, macaroni and cheese, broccoli casserole, a slice of cake and two cupcakes in awe. They can't hear the voice screaming inside "give me MORE." It was so refreshing to hear a man talk about the struggle of telling your body "no" you don't need Doritos slathered with cream cheese.

I've had the same debate. Welcome to the club, brother.

3 comments:

Jessica Marie said...

thanks to you kat i need a cupcake like right NOW

Amber Enea said...

that double bbq bacon cheese burger from Rally's was telling me no the whole time i was eating it.

Little Monarch said...

i love hearing stories which i can relate to! I didnt need to eat a whole pack of chocolate biscuits but the voice inside my body was screaming out more!