Monday, January 18, 2010

New Projects for 2010

Recently someone told me that they are no longer teaching cursive in school. I guess in the age of texting and computers, the pen in less necessary. Truly, I find it easier to type but still, the news made me a little sad.

So I've decided to begin a project for 2010. I was inspired by my buddy Jessie and her blog Everyday's a Halladay. She gave a gift to someone everyday for 29 days. I'm not great with committing to something everyday, so I'm trying something that calls for action once a week. I'm going to write a letter to a friend each week and then tell you a great memory of them. I think it is a great way to remember how many people I have had the honor of knowing and it is always fun to get something in the mail that is not a bill or a flyer.

The year started out as kind of a flop as I got sick almost immediately, so I've got a little catching up to do.

The first letter to go out is to my friend Elvia Moreno in Yuma, Arizona.

Elvia is actually one of my mother's best friends and became a great friend to me. I met her when I was about 9 years old and even then, I could tell she was all kinds of awesome. When I was about 12, she took me shopping with her and used me as a sample dummy for perfumes. My wrist, my neck, my elbow, part by part I was covered with scent. It gave me a new appreciation for the smell good stuff. When she dropped me off and I walked through the door, my mother about fell over with the overwhelming stench, but we had to laugh about it.

When I began working and earning money later that year, one of the first things I saved up for was a nice bottle of perfume. I knew Elvia would be proud.

No comments: