Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Inauguration 2009, Pt. 1

Fourscore and three donuts ago, a bunch o people schlepped themselves to our nation's capital to grab on to a little piece of American history. In case you live in a hole, we now have a black president. Other things to note, Chief Justice Roberts is not so good when put on the spot without note cards, and Rev. Rick Warren says Malia and Sasha like they are candy treats.

I too, was a schlepper. I joined a group of my girl buddies on a super dandy road trip to DC so that one day I would be able to tell my hypothetical children that I was there when a wall in the race barrier crumbled.
Photobucket
Sometimes I forget that it wasn't so long ago that my own parents faced ignorance and hatred for daring to get married and create little Polipinos. It wasn't one-sided. Polish and Filipino alike wanted them to "stick to their own kind." In the hatemongers' defense, they did not know how awesome I would be or that one day I would witness history among a crowd of multicultural friends.
Photobucket

Speaking of loving people for who they are, I have a confession. It's a big one. My friends will probably shun me, but in these days of hope and change and acceptance, I feel confident that one day I will be rewelcomed into the fold.

I didn't actually vote for Obama.

Photobucket
Yep, that's right. I'm not sorry. I refuse to apologize. I get to use my vote however I want. Those ARE the rules. The truth is that I liked both candidates. I was on the fence even when I walked into the booth. My gut told me to vote McCain. I am pleased with our new president and am looking forward to what he may accomplish, but I'm not going to pretend that I've been on board the whole time. I support my president now, and really that should be enough. Sing it Pepsi.
Photobucket

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

P.S. Cute blue coat.

Unknown said...

Then you may be interested in this from our financially savvy friends in London:
http://news.hereisthecity.com/news/business_news/8704.cntns

P.S. I did vote for Obama. Now I am angry. I realize it's only been a couple of days...but his first few (along with his administration) were abysmal in my book. And it is my book, so I can say what I want. And no, I am not really writing a book. But I expected more from all his rhetoric and will continue to do so. Argh.

Jesse said...

I knew it! You wouldn't tell me but now I know cause I stalk you online!